Monday, July 23, 2012

Repurpose an Old Ice Scoop

I found an old ice scoop while I was out antiquing one day and I picked it up determined to find a practical use for it.  I love adding pieces like this to my home decor to display photos because I don't like the traditional way of displaying photos.  I have seen so many people just randomly place framed photos on the wall with no rhyme or reason.  I think that an unconventional item (like an old jar or .... an ice scoop.... for instance) makes photo displays look more interesting and just nicer overall.  

So, here are the photos of it the display coming together.  



Here is the inside of the scoop.....

... and the under side of the scoop.


This is the side view (that will be shown).


My mom bought these wooden (yes, wooden) roses for me from an arts and crafts
festival that she and my step-dad went to during their traveling.


I have mentioned in a previous post (or two) that I love typography.  
I found a box of blank cards at T. J. Maxx that had the alphabet and 
numbers on it (LOVE) and I had to get it!  I was elated that I 
could use one of the cards for this display.  

I also have these journaling cards with letters on them 
(for scrapbooking) and I decided to use the card with the letter "T" on it. 



And these old photos (with the fabulous edges) are aunts and uncles of mine on
my mom's side of the family.  I think they are perfect to use because the ice scoop
is old and the elements go so well with each other.


Now, to put it together....


I placed the scoop on a couple of old Shakespeare books (I thought Shakespeare was
very appropriate to go with my roses.... "What's in a name? That which we call a rose 
By any other name would smell as sweet..."  Okay... call me corny... I won't get deep here!


I placed my beloved typography card in the scoop. To allow it to be visible, I had to stand it
on the corner and let the top corner touch the wall.  Then, I stood the photographs in the
scoop so that I could see the edges.  I chose the photo of my uncle to be the top photo.
After I placed the photographs, I slid the lettered journaling card (the "T") in behind so that I could
place it at an elevated level (to be visible).


I placed it on the shelf with my granny's glasses and my grandaddy's binoculars 
(my dad's parents....also going along with my Shakespeare quote! Lol!).


Here it is!  

I hope this inspires you to use items you
love in unconventional ways!

Please leave me a comment to let me know what you think.

Until next time, be blessed!

:-)  Tonya

* P.S. - I liked this post to 52 Mantels and {Primp}.






No comments:

Post a Comment

RETURN TO TOP