Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chalkboard Decor

Today's post is about the refinishing of a chalkboard craft that I did almost 2 years ago.  When my husband and I got married, we had the song, "Everything" by Michael Buble' at our Reception.  It was one of our favorite songs.  In an effort to keep that romance alive, I took an old picture that I was planning to put in a yard sale and turned it into a chalkboard and wrote some of the lines of the song on the chalkboard.

I put about 3 coats of Rust-Oleum chalkboard paint on the glass (letting it dry in between each coat).



While the glass was out of the frame, I painted the actual frame and rubbed the paint on to give it an aged look.  I wiped paint off in areas so I could see the frame (to make it look like it was chipping off).



After the frame and the glass dried, I put it back together and used real chalk to write on the board.

The problem with using real chalk if you hang your chalkboard in the bathroom, is the steam from the shower.  I happened to hang my piece in the bathroom.  It continued to fade and I would have to retouch it over and over.



Finally, I decided that I would make the "chalk" permanent.  I went to my local craft store to find a chalk pen.  They didn't have one, but they did have a Terra Cotta pen that I thought I could use as a great substitute.



I thought this would work out, but it took forever!!!  I had to keep "pumping" the pen and wiping it off (probably because I had to write on top of the chalk and it was getting "gunked up").


You can see here how I couldn't do one full letter without stopping.


Here is a picture of it halfway completed so you can see the difference.


Here it is completed.  Now when I hang it back up in the bathroom, it shouldn't fade.
No more retouches (hopefully)!



Hope you are inspired to make a "romantic" 
piece of "art" to hang up!

Until next time, be blessed!

:-) Tonya


* P.S. - I linked this post to The Winthrop Chronicles.









No comments:

Post a Comment

RETURN TO TOP